G’day Sweltering Supporters
Phew, itsa scorcher ….. newly planted-out bedding plants might just be wilting. We’ve got some in the Bank St area : the 5 big planters on the Bank St side of the Town Square and in the little circular bed next to Ladbrokes are most in need. Please give them a container of water when you’re passing (or even if you’re not passing). Ta!
This week’s Grand Plan (optimistic title, eh?? ….)
WEDNESDAY 21ST JUNE – several events :
1. Bacup Pride 10am next to Th’Owd Con Club, to do some more restoration work on the former Baptist Church site. Their F’b piks of the work to date look marvellous. Go help ’em!
2. Civic Pride Haslingden 5pm outside the Green Squirrel, junction of M/cr Rd and Bury Rd, more work on the flower bed being entered into the RHS comp.
3. Latter Day Saints group 7pm on the huge bed at R’stall end of Hassy Rd, adjacent to LDS church and St Mary’s Chambers …. continuing to support Civic Pride in keeping that vast area weed-free. Thanks everyone – please go help ’em if you live in the area. A luverly bunch of people!
4. Celebrate The Solstice!! Some weirdo’s (that’s us lot, ok?) will watch the setting sun on the longest day of the year – there’s a great view from the top of Whinberry Naze. Meet 8.15pm, junction of Hill Lane End and Bacup Rd (Cloughfold – between Jacobson’s & K Supplies), then stroll (or puff ‘n’ pant) up the hill, arriving there about 9pm. Bring a celebratory bottle?? Sunset from up there’s 9.35pm. There are other ways up Whinberry apart from the Cloughfold side so please y’self, chuck and hope for a fine sunny evening.
THURS 22ND MEET 9.30AM AT THE STORE OR 10AM BYPASS LAYBY (that’s the one adjacent to McDonald’s on the inbound-to-R’stall side of the bypass). Weeding, cutting back, trimming ‘n’ tidying. WE NEED SOMEONE who’s used a petrol strimmer. We’ve got one, with faceguard and harness and will bring it along. It’ll greatly speed up progress so please help if you can.
FRIDAY 23RD 8PM BUFFER STOPS! Say no more, eh, about this notorious gathering …… all welcome.
SATURDAY 24TH Weir Pride are kicking off again …. C’mon, support the village effort!! Meet 10am at the Doals Centre.
SUNDAY 25TH Civic Pride Haslingden on their next litter-clearance. No details yet but Kathy’ll post ’em on Facebook. Watch that space or email firstname.lastname@example.org Those guys achieve remarkable results but ALWAYS need more volunteer-support from local citizens.
SUNDAY 25TH 2PM START Peers Clough Farm, Lumb. Celebration of the dry-stone walling project which some of our guys attended. There’s a small exhibition, plus walkies over to Goodshaw Chapel, opened specially that afternoon. Details from email@example.com or 07875 106084
BOOK IT IN THI’ DIARY ….. Sunday week, 2nd July, is Civic Pride’s 1st-Sunday-in-the-month session. 10am start. Details next week but perleeze lend us your body for the morning.
ADDITIONAL ELOQUENCE AND INFO (complete with bad grammar ‘n bad spelling…)
• Disappearing gear : weeders, hi-viz, brushes, trowels – I know they’ve been used then taken home with the best of intentions but can we please have ’em back if you’re not using them this week? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 07877211314 for access to the store.
• Advanced notice : we’re arranging a session to train in use of petrol-engined gear : strimmers, hedge-trimmers, blowers. Details to follow when I have ’em.
• Thank you Grimmers for the recent excellent newsletter … tho’ adverse comments about knees were entirely unnecessary, pal …..
• In t’Free Press again last week. Will we make it into Lancashire Life? Might they squeeze us in somewhere underneath the adverts for domestic servants?
• QAVS presentation nominees – we’ve got a number of good suggestions. Please respond to Roger’s email.
• Definitely the last chance – if a bit of stylish nosh tickles your interest, see last week’s Witter about Civic Pride’s steam-train Dining Experience on Sept 30th. If you’ve committed the unforgivable sin of deleting last week’s Witter get details from Jean : 01706 223917 and 07784769645.
• One last thing : at this week’s R’stall Neighbourhood Forum there were LOTS of kind things said about your Weekly Witter. Before you ask, the free drinks I gave out had nothing to do with that, ok?? Probably our collective inability to tek ourselves TOO seriously is contagious. Simple matter of gerrout there an’ JDI !!
PS great work balsam bashing last Sat by the W’well Bottom crew! Luvvit!